A healthy, delicious and not (too) difficult whole wheat lasagna recipe. At Bonjour my Body we love to make your life easier and tastier: you can enjoy your lasagna the whole week (at home or at the office) or freeze it. Bon appetit!
Whole wheat vegetarian lasagna
- 13''x9'' baking dish
- aluminum foil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 zucchini diced
- 1 large fennel bulb diced
- 1 large red pepper seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 jar roasted red pepper tomato sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce 7 1/2 oz
- 1/3 cup pitted black olive, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup shredded partially skimmed mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl, combine the red onion, zucchini, fennel, red pepper, oregano and 1/4 teaspoon (1ml) of the pepper. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat vegetables. Spread vegetables on two baking sheets and grill in preheated 400°F (200°C) oven, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook lasagna noodles for 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain the lasagna noodles, pass them under cold water to cool them, then spread them side by side on a damp cloth.
- In a large bowl, combine the potted tomato sauce and the canned tomato sauce. Spread 3/4 cup (180mL) of this tomato sauce in the bottom of a greased 13-inch x 9-inch (33cm x 23cm) baking dish. Add the grilled vegetables and olives to the rest of the tomato sauce and mix. Reserve.
- In a bowl, using a fork, beat the eggs and the rest of the pepper. Add the ricotta cheese, feta cheese and parsley and mix. Reserve. Spread three lasagna noodles on the tomato sauce in the dish. Cover with about a quarter of the reserved grilled vegetable sauce, then a third of the reserved cheese filling. Make two more layers in the same way, ending with the lasagna noodles and the rest of the grilled vegetable sauce. (You can prepare the vegetarian lasagna up to this stage and cover it with plastic wrap. It will keep for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. Or wrap it in aluminum foil and put it in a container It will keep for up to 2 months in the freezer. Let it thaw completely in the refrigerator for 24 hours before cooking.)
- Sprinkle the top of the lasagna with mozzarella cheese and cover with aluminum foil, but do not tighten. Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and continue cooking in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the lasagna is bubbling and the top is golden. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.